Thursday, November 6, 2014

My life long dream

All my life I wanted to be a mommy, a teacher, and a marine biologist.

3 semesters as a biology major in college taught me that biology wasn't really the route I wanted to go. I switched to elementary education instead. It was a better fit, but not perfect.
After college I moved to a new state where my teacher's license wasn't applicable. So after searching for months I became a preschool teacher and discovered I loved it.

Then I quit my job to stay home with the kids.
After Ry got expelled, and public school didn't work well, we decided to homeschool.

I quickly realized that being a homeschooling mom was a great way to fulfill my dreams of being a mommy and a teacher. I love teaching, and spending my husband's hard earned money on curriculum, craft supplies, and teaching materials.

With 3 kids a home it can get pretty crazy. My youngest is still an infant. My middle child is a momma's boy who needs to be cuddled 24/7. And my oldest is an ODDer who craves individual attention from her mommy 24/7.

I feel stretched thin frequently but I am thankful I have the background in education, and the love and passion to teach my kids well.

We chose a curriculum based on Ry's learning styles, our Christian faith, and the availability of a co-op in our church to keep us on track and provide support on our new journey.

Ry loves math and science. She literally spends hours asking questions about the physiology of the human body. She is also obsessed with numbers, especially even numbers, and whizzes through her math lessons.

Homeschooling is a great way to play to her strengths. And because new situations, loud noises, and lots of people overwhelm her, and she needs to be the center of attention all the time, it's helping with her ODD at home.

So that's where we are now.
Balancing lessons and fun each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment